What do I need to file taxes?

Getting your documents together during tax season can be overwhelming. You may forget something or be unaware you needed a specific document. With this handy check list will help you organize yourself for tax season. All categories may not pertain to you but it’s a good idea to scan through and make sure you have everything. Make your tax returns easier and be organized.

Personal Information:
Social Security number
Spouse’s full name and social security number
Amount of any alimony paid and ex-spouse’s social security number

Employee information:
Forms W-2

IRA Information:
Traditional IRA basis

Other People Who May Belong On Your Return:
Dates of birth and social security numbers
Childcare records (including the providers ID number) if applicable
Approximate income of other adults in your home ( not spouse, if your filling jointly)
Form 8332, copies of your divorce decree, or other documents showing that your ex-spouse is releasing their right to claim a child to you

Rental Income:
Records of income and expenses
Rental asset information (cost, date placed in service, etc.) for depreciation

Other income:
Unemployment, state tax refund (1099-G)
Gambling income (W-2G or records showing income, as well as expense records)
Amount of any alimony received and ex-spouse’s name
Health care reimbursements (1099-SA or 1099-LTC)
Jury duty records
Hobby income and expenses
Prizes and awards
Other 1099

Education Payments:
Bills from the educational institution or anything else that itemizes what you paid or received loans for versus what was covered by scholarship or other financial aid.
Forms 1098-T and 1098-E, if you received them
Scholarships and fellowships

Savings and investments:
Interest, dividend income (1099-INT, 1099-OID, 1099-DIV)
Income from sales of stock or other property (1099-B, 1099-S)
Dates of acquisition and records of your cost or other basis in property you sold

Vehicle information:
Total miles driven for the year ( or beginning/ending odometer readings)
Total business miles driven for the year (other than commuting)
Amount of parking and tolls paid
If you want to claim actual expenses, receipts or totals for gas, oil, car washes, licenses, personal property tax, lease or interest expense, etc.

Self-Employment Information:
Forms 1099-MISC, Schedules K-1, income records to verify amounts not reported on 1099s.
Records of all expenses – check registers or credit card statements, and receipts
Business-use asset information (cost, date placed in service, etc.) for depreciation
Office in home information, if applicable

Retirement Income:
Pension/IRA/annuity income
Social security/RRB Income (1099-SSA, RRB-1099)

Itemizing deductions:
Forms 1098 or other mortgage statements
Amount of state/local income tax paid ( other than wage withholding), or amount of state and local sales tax paid
HUD statement showing closing date of home and purchase
Cash amounts donated to houses of worship, schools, other charitable organizations
Records of non-cash charitable donations
Amounts paid for healthcare insurance and to doctors, dentists, hospitals
Amounts of miles driven for charitable or medical purposes
Expenses related to your investments
Employment-related expenses (dues, publications, tools, uniform costs and cleaning, travel)
Job-hunting expenses

If you were affected by a federally declared disaster:
City/county you lived/worked/had property in
Records to support property losses (appraisal, clean-up costs, etc.)
Records of rebuilding/repair costs
Insurance reimbursements/claims to be paid
FEMA assistance information
Check FEMA site to see if your county qualifies for individual assistance

This will help you get prepared for tax season. Forgetting a document can throw a “monkey wrench” into the works. This list provides you with all the basics you need to file taxes.

For more information visit http://ez-online-tax-filing.com//